Kotlin is an open source,stabile-typed programming language mainly for the Android and JVM that incorporates object-intended & functional programming attributes.A team of JetBrains programmers based in Saint Petersburg,Russia is a primary development team of Kotlin.There is correlation with Java code and is accessory on Java Code from the extant Java Class Library.
Features of kotlin:
Kotlin has many useful and unique features that assists in writing the codes in pleasant way:
- Functional programming supports with zero-overhead lambdas .The potentiality of Kotlin system can easily distinguishes between mutable and immutable views over the collections.It also has an ability to perform folding,mapping and so on over standard Java collections.
- Lean syntax: type inference works everywhere, one liner functions take one line, simple structs/JavaBeans can also be declared in one line.The real properties can generate getFoo or setFoo methods behind the scenes for Java interop. The Functions can exist outside of classes.
- Manages Markdown as a substitute of HTML for API codes: This helps in writing the JavaDocs much more pleasant and great. The “Dokka” tool, which is the equivalent of JavaDoc, can read both Kotlin and Java source code and generate combined doc websites, both with its own style and also in the standard JavaDoc HTML style.The tool “Dokka” is used that is equivalent to JavaDoc can read both Java source code and Kotlin and create doc websites combined.
- Built with Operators overloaded :Operators maps to special method names, so it can override the behaviours of the existing operators (including function invocation), but we cannot define entirely new ones,which consecutively strikes a mutual balance between power and readability.
- In order to redefine the language ,Kotlin is deprived of having the Macros.But it comprises of carefully designed features permit for libraries which behaves like language extensions.
Why to learn Kotlin?
- Kotlin is Concise: It is concise which drastically diminish an amount of boilerplate code.
- Large set of Extension functions: It comprises a lot of extension functions.It enables us to expand the functionality of pre-existing classes without inheriting from them.
- Easy to learn: The great benefit of Kotlin is that a Java programmer can easily understand most of the codes without ever having written a line of Kotlin.
- Prompts in Android development: Kotlin is simple and mixed with the powers.It makes ease and comfort for the java programmers to get it on with it.The time of compilation in Kotlin is same as to Java and in some case it is more faster when tested.The library required to write the Kotlin app is very small,so it saves the time too.
- More secure than Java: The Codes are easier to understand so when someone reads it ,it becomes difficult to introduce the errors .There is less code that means more difficult for that code to fail and therefore becomes more stable. Consequently it leads into great stability,less time spent in fixing the bugs & errors and obviously great work done in less time.
Specimen for writing the codes in Kotlin:
Due to this assorted reasons , Kotlin play the vital role in developing the android apps for an android smartphones easily.It depends upon the categories of users to use it or prefer Java and so on.Even though the Java programmers can precisely code in Kotlin.